Sunday, February 7, 2016

Day 17 - Cecee's Adventures

After Papa left the train car, I thought about him. He was tall and strong. I thought he was very handsome, with his mustache he kept trimmed so neatly.

I knew that when I grew up and married, I planned to name my oldest son after him.

In a few minutes, Papa came back and reported that the fellow would not be bothering us again. I never saw the man again, and to this day, I don't know what happened to him.

The day passed into evening, and once again, we had our meal of ham and biscuits. I don't know about the others, but even though I was hungry,  I was getting mighty tired of the same food over and over.

Upon hearing my complaint, Mary gently  reminded me of how hard our Mama had worked so we could travel to Texas. That made me feel ashamed of my attitude.

"I'm sorry, Mama! Thank you for seeing we have food."

I hugged Mama.

She tipped my chin, lifting my face with an index finger and smiled.

"You're welcome, but no more complaints! Be grateful we have what we do!"

"Yes, Ma'am"

"Mary, what will it be like when we get there? Will it be hot? Will we have snow in the winter time, like we had back home?"

"I don't know the answer to those questions, Cecee! I've never been there! Tell you what! We'll find out together!"

Daisy piped up with, "She's just a question box! Question box! Question box! Cecee is a question box!" She sang, sing- song fashion."

I simply turned away from her and went back to sit down.

The rumble of the train, lulling me into sleep later that night, reminded me of past times, sitting on Papa's lap..With my head laying against his chest, I could feel the rumbling vibrations of his voice as he talked with family...

2 comments:

Delores said...

Someone check the rails a few miles back. There may be a man sized piece of trash lying there.
You know, there's nothing wrong with having lots of questions.

Grammy said...

You make me laugh out loud, or quietly chuckle to myself as you read my mind.