Monday, February 1, 2016

Day 12 - Cecee's Adventures

I looked around....it was still dark outside and most everybody was asleep except for me and Daisy. Mary! I would ask my sweet sister, Mary, to take us to the toilet.

Quietly standing up, I went around the seat to where Mary was still sleeping.

Shaking her none too gently, I whispered, "Mary! Mary! I gotta go and they ain't no toilet! What do I do? I gotta go BAD!"

By now I was jumping from one foot to the other.

"Okay, okay, just a minute!"

Then I felt a tug on my dress sleeve.

Daisy!

"I gotta go, too, Mary! Can you take us to a toilet?"

Mary had been helping Mama take care of us so long, it was almost like she was our second Mama.

She took each of us by a hand and we moved quietly down to the end of the railroad car. She opened the door connecting the cars and led us to the adjoining car, then through that one to a third car.

Upon reaching the inner portion of the third car, there was an inner door to a small room with writing on the door. It said, "Ladies".

Fortunately, the room was large enough for the three of us. Otherwise, I would not have known what to do. All the toilets I had ever used were the outdoor kind.

Each of us took a turn on the commode. Mary showed us how to pull on a cord. I watched as the waste disappeared and felt the cool air come up through the hole.

There was nothing to use for wiping and no  place to wash our hands. Mama was not going to like this arrangement, but it didn't bother me too much. I was just happy to be comfortable again.

We went back to our car, and it was not long before I was once again sound asleep.

2 comments:

Delores said...

Yikes....the whole thing does not .sound too too sanitary does it

Grammy said...

Not really! Can you imagine how little they knew about germs?