Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Day 7 - Cecee's Adventures

When I dragged Daisy back into the playroom, I realized that the boys had gone outside to play and that looked like more fun than sitting in there playing with dolls, but I didn't want to get into trouble.

"Okay, now tell me what they were saying in there, Cecee!" demanded Daisy.

"Oh, they were just talking about riding on the train and how it was going to be paid for. I think maybe the people we are going to work for are helping with the cost."

"What do you mean that 'we are going to work for'? You mean, Papa, don't you?"

"Nope. We're gonna be working, too!"

"What can we do? We're too young and little. I don't wanta work! I ain't gonna!" Daisy stamped her foot and began hollering.

"Shhh! Hush, Daisy! Hush! You'll get me into trouble for listening to them!"

By this time she was working herself up into one of her tantrums.

Sure enough! Here came Mama running to see what was going on.

I stood helplessly by as Daisy once again threw the fat into the fire.

"Cecee said she heard you all saying we was going to have to work out in Texas! Are we, Mama? Are we?"

"Well, you all work here at home, don't you? You help sweep and pick up things and dust. We're never too young to begin learning to earn our way in life!"

All the time that Mama was talking to Daisy, she was glaring at me for eavesdropping.

Soon Daisy was mollified, and Mama was talking to me about all that she had on her to get done before our picture was going to be taken by a real photographer.

"Right after lunch the men are going to clear out the furniture in the living room so that we can all get together to have our family picture made. There's about twenty-one of us, and it's going to take some doing, to get everybody in their best clothes and everything set up for him," said Mama.

I began to get really excited. What an adventure! I'd never had my picture made before that I could remember, anyway.

2 comments:

Delores said...

Doesn't that make you feel like they never expected to see the other family members ever again so they wanted a photograph?

Grammy said...

Very true! They expected to remain in Texas, I believe.