Thursday, January 21, 2016

Adventures of Cecee. Day 4

Pretty soon, I was in the midst of aunts and uncles, and a few cousins. I didn't know all of them, but it didn't matter. Pretty soon, we kids were sent to another room to play, while the older folks talked. Being of a curious nature, I sneaked out into the hallway so I could eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Now, William, are you sure this is a wise move to make, taking your family out to that God-forsaken  Texas? Just what do you know about those people you're supposed to be workin' for?"

I recognized the speaker as my Uncle John.

"Well, I know they've got work for me to provide for Maggie and our seven children. It's a big ranch with year around work! They're paying our way out there, so I know they want me. The children can work, too."

Well! That was news to me! We would have to work, too? I leaned closer to the door; I didn't want to miss a word of what was being discussed.

I heard my Aunt Emmaline say, "Now, William, what if one of you gets sick? I've heard that Texas don't have a lot of good doctors way out yonder!"

I smiled to myself.  Auntie claimed to have doctoring skills. She carried around a black doctor's bag, and  nursed and doctored people that were sick, needing someone to stay with and nurse them back to health. When she didn't have anyone to Doctor, she stayed in the homes of family. She was what my Mama called a grass widow, whatever that is.

Just then, Daisy came out into the hallway.

"Cecee, what you doing out here?"

Then, it dawned on her that I was eavesdropping.

"A-a-h! I'm gonna tell!"

"No! Listen! Wait til I tell you what I heard!"

"Well, it better be good, or I'm telling them on you!"

By this time, she was almost shouting at me."


5 comments:

Barbara said...

Enjoying the new story.

Barbara said...

Thanks Ruby,finally got it fixed.

Grammy said...

Thanks and you are welcome. So glad you are enjoying this semi biographical story of my Mama's childhood. She is Cecee, of course.

Delores said...

I can see a few kids asking if they could stay where they are.....

Grammy said...

Yes, I can also!