Friday, March 28, 2014

Sergeant Finley - Day 69

When we got back to the station, Captain Wintermeyer and the squad were in the process of booking the thugs we had taken down. We got to observe the whole process. 

Wintermeyer inquired about the absence of Bix. 

"He chose not to go with us; since it was truly voluntary, we let him off the hook. He said his wife was worried when she was all alone at night." Odie informed him.

The captain merely lifted his eyebrows and nodded.

I pulled Odie to one side. "You think it's going to be a black mark against Bix? What do you reckon Frosty will do?" I whispered as quietly as possible.

"It sure won't do his standing any good in the Captain's eyes. He shouldn't be a cop if he can't be out at night. You know he's not held down any job for long. Can you imagine having a wife who's not behind you a hundred percent?"

"Well, it's kind of hard to imagine having a wife to support, that you have to keep assuring you're not going to be fired. Also, one that's afraid all the time for her own safety." 

"I heard they're from a large city up north, where you have to live in fear for your life all the time." Odie replied. 

He seemed to catch all the scuttlebutt floating around. 

"It'll be interesting to see what happens on Monday when we go back to class; we'll see if Bix is still going to be one of us, or if he'll be gone."

I decided to change tack, and asked Odie a question of my own. 

"You doing anything this weekend?"

"Naw! You got somethin' in mind? Got a girl you're seeing and wanta double date?"

"No, not at present." I smiled. "I do have a place I want to take you, though. I want you to meet some of my friends on Sunday afternoon that don't have anything to do with police work. How about it?"

"What are we gonna do?"

"They're having a picnic down by the river. The weather is supposed to be getting nice, and I'll have Mama Nina pack a basket for us. There's some girls in the group.  What do ya say?"

"Hey, that sounds all right! Are the girls pretty?"

"They sure are! Come on! You'll enjoy it! We can forget all about classes and police work and just have a good time. Wear your casual clothes and meet me at Mama's around three p.m. Okay?"

"It's a deal!"

(To be continued)