Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Zebulon - Day 214 - Historical Fiction

"You mean I won't have any troubles or problems any more?" Claude asked me.

"Oh, I didn't say that, at all. But, He will help you deal with them, so that they won't be overwhelming to you. We all have problems, but they become lighter with Jesus to stand with us and help us know how to solve them. He can help you to control that temper of yours, so that life will become sweeter for you and those about you. Most importantly, he will give you a sense of inner peace. Admit that you are a sinner, believe that Jesus died for your sins, and arose from the dead,  and confess that belief, and He will give you that forgiveness, then you will belong to him. I don't know exactly - how - it happens, just that it does. Are you willing?"

Claude looked at me with tears flowing from his eyes, and then took my hand with both of his in what seemed like a death grip.

"Oh, I want to! I want to!"

Then, I watched as his pride crumbled, and he gave over, confessing his belief, then he looked into my eyes and smiled. 

"It's true! I feel wonderful! I know now I can make it! Oh, thank you, my friend! I can't wait to get out of here and talk to my sweet wife. My wife...I am so ashamed of how I have treated her, plus trying to kill myself. How do I ever tell her how truly sorry I am?"

"Well, my friend. I believe actions speak louder than words, don't they? Why don't you give me her phone number so I can contact her. I'm leaving town tomorrow, but I still have time to talk to her, if you wish."

"You're leaving tomorrow? But I wanted to talk to you a lot more!"

"I'm sorry, but I really must. I believe God is urging me to do so. You can talk to Reverend Butler down at the church close to you. He is very nice and a really good man, a strong believer. You will like him; in fact I told him how much you need to talk to him."

"Thank you. Here is my mother in law's phone number," he replied, rattling off a number to me. 

I prayed with him before I left and shook his hand. "Don't forget to read your Bible. It is your guidebook. Without it, and daily prayer, it is easy to lose your way in your life's journey. God bless you, my friend." 

So saying, I left and headed for the boarding house. I had a very important call to make. 

(To be continued) 

1 comment:

Delores said...

Well there's Claude straightened out and looked after.....I'm getting a little anxious about Sgt Finlay. I hope Zeb isn't too late.