Monday, November 18, 2013

Zebulon - Day 187 - Historical Fiction

The door closed quietly behind Glenny, and I stood there a moment with my hand on my cheek. I certainly hadn't expected the kiss, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. It made me wonder if there might be a future with her. I looked forward to supper with her and her family on the morrow, wondering just what it would be like. 

The night was cool, so I walked quite briskly back to the rooming house, encountering a fellow walking his dog. He nodded at me in a friendly manner and I smiled in return. What a wonderful little town this was! Maybe I could settle down here with Glenny? Ah, I realized I was just imagining what might could be, and not being realistic. I hardly even knew her any more. I wondered if she was a believer. We had not spoken of that, but surely there would be some indication the next evening at supper.

Arriving at the boarding house, I quietly entered the house and closed the door without making any noise. I took off my shoes so I could walk quietly up the stairs. As I stepped on one of them, I noticed it creaked and smiled. One would have a difficult time going upstairs if they weren't aware of the squeak it made. 

Mrs. Walsh came through the hallway from the kitchen and looked up the stairwell. 

"Ah, Mr. O'Halloran! I see you're home! Did you have a good evening?" 

I smiled, thinking one would never get away with sneaking around in this house, not that I would ever want to; she certainly could keep tabs on her children that way, though.

"Yes, thank you! It was a pleasant one. I'll see you in the morning! Good night!" 

Deciding to take a hot soaking bath in the claw-foot bath tub, I grabbed my bath towel, and bathrobe, along with the washcloth, and headed for the communal bathroom. My body was tired from the travel the night before and that morning on the train, and it might relax me to do so. 

I filled the tub with very warm water and climbed in. Ahhhh. It was wonderful. I lay back against the porcelain, thinking about what had happened since I had left the service. I still worried about Rosie. Where was she? Why had she run off with some fella? Did I know him? What about Sgt. Finley? I felt an urgency to find him, but for the time being, I felt he would want me to help the fella next door. 

Nearly drifting to sleep, I was startled from my reverie by a knock on the bathroom door. 

"Mr. O'Hanlon! Are you okay?" 

I realized then I had been in there for an hour and the water had grown quite cold. 

"Yes, I'm fine. I'll be out in a few minutes. I nearly went to sleep in the tub." I chuckled, embarrassed. 

By the time I left the bathroom, she had moved on, for which I was glad. 

(To be continued) 

No comments: