Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Zebulon - Day 178 - Historical Fiction

Going back to my table, I sat down, musing over the chance meeting. Glenny was slim and petite, and her smile was the same as back in grade school: open and guileless. That right upper tooth was still chipped where she had been hit with that basketball when we were in gym that day. The imperfection just kind of made the smile perfect. 

I sat there daydreaming until the waitress cleared her throat and asked if I knew what I wanted. I realized that up until that morning, I really hadn't known what I was looking for. 

Smiling up at her, I asked, "What's on special for today?"

"Well, buddy, our blue plate special, you wouldn't want, but you might try the burgers and fries, they're really good," she smiled back, winking at me. 

"Okay, give me the burger and fries, add mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, and mustard." 

"Hmmm. Are you sure you want the onion?"

I blushed and said, "Yes, please." 

"Okay, your funeral," she retorted. "You want a coke with it, of course." 

"Yes, please." 

"Coming right up." 

Within seconds, she returned with the coke and a straw, and winked at me again. "Ya sure about the onion?" she wisecracked.

Was she flirting with me? I wasn't sure, but I thought so. I just smiled back and nodded my head. 

I ate my burger and fries when they came in silence, looking out of the window as I ate, but not necessarily seeing anyone or anything passing by.  My mind was filled with memories from the past. 

(To be continued) 

 

 

2 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

Hi, I just popped over to see how you were doing. I shall have to try to catch up on the story.... but there's quite a lot of it!

Best wishes, Cro x

Grammy said...

Yep. I write 6 days a week hope you enjoy it. Thanks.