Friday, November 1, 2013

Zebulon - Day 174 - HIstorical Fiction

I found myself heading towards a building that stood on the corner about six blocks from my old home. I wondered if I could find anyone there. The bricks looked weathered from the northern winds and snow storms that beat against them in the winter time. I looked to the top of the building at the spire rising into the blue sky. Perhaps there was help here for the young woman I had spoken to. 

Walking up the steps onto the porch, I walked toward the door. Reaching up to the handle on the door, I gently pulled. It opened and I walked in quietly. The sanctuary was cool and dimly lit, so I slipped into a pew and sat down, remembering the smell and the feel of the church from long ago when I was just a kid. 

Hearing a noise, I looked around and saw a man headed for me. He was wearing work clothes, and carrying a ladder. 

"Can I help you?" 

"I hope so. Can you tell me if the pastor is in today?"

He laughed and said, "You're talking to him. I'm just changing a few light bulbs. Hang on a minute and we'll head back to my office. Could you hold the ladder for me, while I change this bulb?"

"Sure," I replied. "I'll be glad to."

As he climbed the ladder, he looked down and asked, "Do you live around here? I haven't seen you before. We're such a small church, I'm sure that I would remember you."

"No, sir. I used to live here a long time ago, and we came to this church sometimes."

"Well, I've only been here about five years, so as you can see, I do some of the janitorial work."

After changing the bulb, he folded the ladder and we walked back to the area where he stored it, then on back into his small office.

"Now, what can I do for you, young man?" 

(To be continued) 

No comments: