Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Zebulon - Day 171 - Historical Fiction

While in basic training, it soon became evident to my fellow trainees that I was a Christian, because of my demeanor and the fact that I never turned in at night without reading my little testament that Sgt. Finley had given me so long ago. It was really getting dog-eared, but was very dear to me. 

Also, I never failed calling them down for mistreating others. It earned me the nickname, "Rev.", for  Reverend, I figured. I didn't mind; better that than some of the nicknames others were tagged with. 

I had just finished basic training when shock waves traveled throughout the world. President John Kennedy was assassinated, and America reeled from the loss. 

When I received my assignment, I found myself in the intelligence division. Apparently, when I took my entrance exams, they were impressed by the way I answered the questions. Thus, I was thrust into the very thick of the action, gathering intelligence for the fighting that went on. I saw things that I cannot recount; that sometimes yet plague my memory. 

For several years following my four years of service, I had nightmares, yet my dependence on Jesus brought me through. 

When I left the service, I went back home for a short time, and was happy to see my Ma and Jake. They seemed much older, and though I was happy to see them, I was restless.Our little Marie was a beauty, and still shy around people. She had a young fellow courting her, but it didn't look really serious on her part. 

Les was now a strapping young fellow, just a year older than I was when I had left. He was planning on going to the University of Kentucky to study architecture, he said. 

I asked Ma about Rosie and she just shook her head, tears springing to her eyes. I didn't press her, but it made me sad, seeing her so upset. I would find out another way.

When I asked Les about Rosie, he told me that she had run off with somebody and they hadn't heard from her lately. 

Well, that was a shocker to me. I determined to find out where she was. 

My feet were restless, I couldn't seem to settle down there on the farm, so I bade them all good-bye and headed up north to look up Sgt. Finley. 

(To be continued)

2 comments:

Delores said...

The good Sgt will have aged as well...so much water under the bridge since Zeb did his time.

Grammy said...

Yep, I have an objective in mind with fast forwarding Zeb's life.