Saturday, September 14, 2013

Zebulon - Day 135 - Historical Fiction

He replied, "Okay, Zeb, I'll call her right now. She has been out of her mind with worry. She even had that Sgt. you are friends with looking for you. I don't understand how you could do such a thing as running off like that, young man, without telling anyone! You should be whipped!"

"Already have been, sir!" I said smartly. 

"Well, good!" was his reply." Now, I'm going to go over to your house right now and tell Ellen you all are safe. I'll leave my new assistant in charge. I can't wait to tell her. Goodby, Zeb. Stay out of trouble, now!"

"Yes, sir," I replied into a dead receiver, for he had already hung up.

Turning to the others, I said, "He's going to go tell Ma right now."

Just then, there was a knock on the front door, and when Grandda's went to open it, there stood a young girl in a heavy coat, holding a pot of something hot, because it had towels under it.

"Mr. O'Halloran, Grandma sent this pot of soup beans over. We heard yore wife was ailin', and we're mighty sorry. Hope she gets better, real soon."

"Thank you, Arlissa, we appreciate it."

"Yore welcome." She looked at the four of us and gave a little smile and a wave in Rose's direction. 

Glancing at Rosie, I saw her solemnly returning the half-wave.

I figured she was missing her friends, and maybe this girl would turn out to be a good friend to Rosie.

(To be continued)


3 comments:

Delores said...

Another one big on the whippings I see...charming. And not so much as a 'is everyone all right?' over there. Something tells me the kids might be better off where they are.

Grammy said...

You could be right. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Delores said...

You're a hard woman grammie.