Thursday, September 12, 2013

Zebulon - Day 133 - Historical Fiction

I sat there in the floor and silently thanked God for His mercy to my Grandda, also to me. Then I got up and went into the bedroom to talk to my siblings. It was Grandda's choice to tell them what he had chosen to do, but I wanted to tell them that things were going to be changing for us, I hoped. 

It had just dawned upon me that perhaps, with Grandda's change of attitude, he might let my siblings return home, but I was going to offer to stay awhile, because as much as I wanted to go, I felt like I could be of help to him. We would see. It would take some time to find out. 

He stayed in their bedroom for a couple of hours, and then he came out. I don't know what went on in there, but when he came back into the living room, we went out to see how things were going with Grandma. 

The first thing he did was apologize to Les, Marie and Rosie for his and Grandma's treatment of them. They stood there, dumbfounded, looking at one another. Could this be the same man that had treated them so callously before? 

"Can you forgive me, children? You don't have to, but it would mean a lot to me, if you would. I am so sorry for the way we treated you when Martha brought you here, Les and Marie. Then for the way we treated you, Martha Rose, so many years ago and then when you came here a few days ago. Please, would you? I've already apologized to Zeb, here. You see, I've just prayed to be forgiven by God and become a true believer in Him. God forgave me, will you?"

Marie and Les slowly nodded in affirmation; but Rosie looked doubtful. She would take some time to forgive him. 

"What did Grandma say when you told her?" I asked.

He looked at me sorrowfully, and shook his head. Apparently, she didn't share his feelings. It would take some time, I thought, to convince her of her need. 

I was going to wait awhile to bring up my suggestion; perhaps he would think of it, on his own. 

Marie began to cry softly. I turned to her and asked her what was wrong. 

"I miss my Mommy," she said, throwing herself into my arms. 

"We miss her, too, Marie," I replied. "Maybe we can go home soon."

(To be continued) 

 

No comments: