Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Zebulon - Day 139 - Historical Fiction

This time it was the postman's wife. He had stopped at home to pick her up so she could bring some kind of dish for our supper. He had heard while delivering mail to some of the neighbors near us, so he went back home and told her. She had taken a dish she was fixing for their supper and brought it by. They didn't ask any questions, just delivered the food, and left. 

I got to thinking then, about Sgt. Finley. Hadn't he gotten my message? What had happened to it? Did the other policeman really write it down and put it on his desk, or was he only pretending he would? Maybe he did and it got misplaced or overlooked? I guessed I might probably never know, but it did make me wonder, now that I had time to think about it. Or was Mr. Hopkins just making up that the Sgt. had come looking and asking questions? I guess that was something I'd ask my Ma when she came for Les and Marie tomorrow. Was Mr. Hopkins really a nice guy, or was he a pretender, too?

Tomorrow was Sunday, I guessed, since we hadn't been to church yet. I had lost count of the days. Christmas was coming closer. In just five days, it would be Christmas, and we would miss it. I didn't know what it would be like here on the farm, but my hopes were not very high for a good one. We had no way to get to town to do any shopping; not that Rosie and I had any money to shop with. We wouldn't be with Ma and our little brother and sister. How would we celebrate? Who would fix our special dinner that day? 

All those thoughts were running through both mine and Rosie's minds, I was sure. Of course, Les and Marie were excited about being back home with Ma, until they really started considering the fact we would still be on the farm. Now what? I couldn't help wondering what the next few weeks would hold for all of us. What would really happen when Ma got here, too?

(To be continued) 

5 comments:

Delores said...

Maybe Ma will stay and make Christmas for all of them.

Blabbin' Grammy said...

Stolen my thunder again. You must be a mind reader!

Blabbin' Grammy said...

Stolen my thunder again. You must be a mind reader!

Delores said...

One of the very special things about your writing is that the reader feels like a part of the story. I have become so concerned for all these people. I just wanted Ma to stay.

Grammy said...

You're sweet, and so special to me. You'll never know how much. Thank you for being a faithful, commenting reader and caring.