Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Zebulon - Day 120 - Historical Fiction

Even though I was hurting, I put my arms around Rosie, and tried to comfort her. She struggled, but I kept holding on until she settled down some. 

"I remember...I remember..." she whispered to me. 

"What do you remember, Rosie? Shhhh. It's okay. I'm here with you. I won't let anything hurt you. I know it's dark down here, but we're here for each other. What is it you remember?"

"I've been here before. I had forgotten until now. When I was about three years old, our Da brought me here to visit them for a week. I was so excited! For some reason, Ma was sick and he said my grandparents wanted me to visit them for awhile. The first night I was here, I wet the bed because I was so excited. Da had gone back home and left me with them." 

"What happened then, Rosie?"

"Our grandma told me that I needed to learn better and maybe a night in the cellar would help me remember that I wasn't supposed to wet the bed. I was scared and it was dark; there were creepy, crawly things that got on me and then when I got back upstairs the next morning, I was hoarse from crying. Needless to say, that didn't cure me from wetting the bed. I spent every night in the cellar. I can't believe I forgot that. Now, here I am again." She began sobbing again.

"I'm here with you, Rosie. I won't let anything hurt you, I promise." Holding her close, I resolved to get even with them. 
Then I remembered what Sgt. Finley had told me about getting even with people and how God always took care of it. 

That night as I held Rosie, I struggled with my thoughts. The Holy Spirit was convicting me of my need for Jesus; the scriptures I had been reading came back to me in the middle of that dark night. I cried out to Him, and he answered, giving me peace of mind. I surrendered my soul to Jesus on that dark night in the cellar and knew, somehow, that things were going to be all right. 

(To be continued) 

4 comments:

Delores said...

Ah...a glimmer of hope in a cold dark night. Once that light begins to shine, nothing can put it out.

Grammy said...

Amen, sister!

Mom's Blog said...

I think you need to write more than 1 chapter a day.....

Mom's Blog said...

Just sayin'....