Monday, April 9, 2012

Sleuthin' Sidekicks

Story from beginning.

Anna Belle

Secrets can be dangerous. Everybody has secrets...things they don't share with others. I know several secrets that I shouldn't. If someone else was aware that I knew what has happened, I would be in grave danger. (I do mean grave, because that is where I would wind up.)


This morning when I awakened, I got up from the doorway where I had been trying to rest and folded my blanket, then placed it in my folding cart. Yes, I live on the streets of a midsized town in the southern United States. People call me AnnaBee but my given name is Anna Belle. I do okay for someone with no money or financial means. 


If you were to see me walking along the streets pushing my cart in front of me, I would not be very noticeable at all. I would just appear to be another homeless street person. You would see a little old skinny lady with white hair, wearing a pair of blue jeans, with a denim shirt and a jaunty billed cap to keep the sun out of her eyes. Sneakers and socks keep her bare feet off the pavement. If you were to look into her face, you would see snappy blue eyes, and a mouth that crinkles when she smiles. Nothing out of the ordinary.


I have quite a few friends among the people I see daily and I'll tell you more about them later. Right now I am on my way to find bathroom facilities. You know, keeping anonymous on the streets is a talent and one way to do so is not to appear dirty and unkempt. There are several places that I can use for this purpose. Service stations have public restrooms, and so does the bus terminal. I know them all. 

19 comments:

Sarah Allen said...

Wow, awesome! Great work here.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Kayla Beck said...

Fantastic post! I'm really enjoying your story!

Grammy said...

Thank y'all. :) I am having a ball writing it.

Cherie Reich said...

I love how you're formatting your story for your blog. Great work! It definitely hooks a person.

J.C. Martin said...

AnnaBee is an unlikely, and hence very compelling, protagonist! Great story!

J.C. Martin
A to Z Blogger

Barbara said...

Like your blog,a very good story.It would make a good book.Maybe you ought to see about that.

Grammy said...

thanks, that is what I'm being encouraged to do... I'm not sure yet. Love, Ruby

Cherie said...

you have a very nice blog..
nice to meet you here.

Susan Kane said...

I am getting the hang of it now...good twists and turns, with multiple people who grab the attention.

Sylvia van Bruggen said...

wow that is so amazing!

Thank you so much for commenting on my poem. So wonderful to meet another soul who is one with her inner child

Rachel Morgan said...

It's great how you've split up these posts so that they all start on exactly the right letter. Quite a cliffhanger when you end in the middle of a sentence!

Grammy said...

Thanks. Actually, I am writing it as I go, and have to decide what idea I am going to stop on, so that I can begin with that idea the next morning.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Grammy! I'm enjoying the story. Looking forward to the next installment. Have a great day!

Susanne
PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

bruce said...

you definitely a flare for writing, grammy...

we will be back...

JOY 2 JOURNEY said...

After you came and visited me on my blog, I just had to see what you were up to on yours. Wow, you have a knack for writing! I am all caught up with the girls, the pastor, and Cookie Jack. I joined your blog so that I can keep getting the updates and I can finish the novel. Thank you for sharing your talent with us ... for free! I am used to having to "pay" for a book :)
Hugs,
Bj

Shannon King said...

Amazing story...you have me hanging on every word sweetie...blessings!

Lisa said...

Too much fun! After your visit to my blog I had to come and check out yours! This is a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us a to z -er's!

Pam said...

You definitely have me hooked, Grammy! Will we get to read the entire story during A to Z Challenge? Or will you end with a cliffhanger and make us wait till it comes out in print? You've written a great story. We are all hanging on every word! Thank you so much for sharing it.
Blessings!
Pam

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Grammy! Stopped by to get all caught up before the end of the A to Z Challenge. Looking forward to finding out what happens next.